Friday, March 31, 2017

Podcasts

Podcasts

Podcasts are like listening to the radio, but better because you can listen to them whenever you want.  There are podcasts for every subject nowadays.  Podcasts are popular for people of all ages.  
When looking at how to use podcasts in the classroom, I liked the idea of using it for teaching vocabulary.  I listened to FlowVocabulary and it was about Idioms.  I have been teaching idioms to my ESL students.  This is a hard topic because it they don't make any sense that is why we find Amelia Bedelia books so funny.  This podcast was listener friendly because it taught 3 similar idioms and that was a good amount.  I also listened to a book review.  I loved this so much, that this is the kind of podcast I made.  I listened to a review about Monkey: Not Ready.  I liked that the librarian included a picture of the cover of the book.  That made it more kid friendly.  Another idea was to have students write a script and record their play on a podcast.  This would be a great way to learn about the American Revolutionary War.  One student could be a Patriot and another could be a Loyalist.  Students would have fun making a podcast, while they would really have to understand the historical concepts.  





My podcast, was a book review on The Red Queen and I used Podomatic to make the podcast.  The podcast was very simple to make.  I had already made a review of the book for another class.  So, I read the review into the recorder on my phone.  I saved it to the podcast.  I added a picture of the book.  



I really like the idea of librarians using a podcast to create a book review.  Students always want to read what the librarian talks about.  The librarian could email this out to the teachers to get a "buzz" going about a hot new book!

3 comments:

  1. Shannon,
    I love the idea of using podcasts for book reviews. I think busy people might be more willing to listen to a 2 minute podcast than reading paragraphs in an email. Great idea to send out book reviews to teachers to get them to spread excitement about a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love Red Queen. I love your book review. I can't wait to share it with my fellow Mare Barrow fans at school tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the idea of two students creating a podcast together- could be the end product after a research project. Thanks for the great idea.
    I also LOVE Red Queen.

    ReplyDelete